Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Pre-Alpha preview

This forum is for all things simulators. All simulator tips and tricks and everything on how to maintain and tweak will be placed in this forum.
BobSturm

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Pre-Alpha preview

Post by BobSturm »

Here is a good preview of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 pre-Alpha. The previewer is a RW 737 pilot who was invited to a special event by Microsoft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RciDscn ... _hmrNLPQXA
ImageSignature_Img-MD11 by Robert Sturm, on Flickr
Bob Sturm -- Sr. Command Capt. +15
V.P. Scenery Development
Hub Manager WSSS
X-Plane 11/12, ActiveSky-XP, Navigraph Charts
Sr. Master Scenery Designer Award
75,000,000 lb Cargo Award
20 Year Service Award
Computer: Intel i7-8700k 3.7GHz 6 Core 16GB / NVIDIA GTX-1080
Mark Kusiak

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Pre-Alpha preview

Post by Mark Kusiak »

Nice video review. Still very preliminary to speculate on the finished product.

PPL, Single Engine Land, FSX_SE, ASN, REX Soft Clouds, iFly, PMDG, FSCommander
WWA3382

Post by WWA3382 »

I would strongly suggest the following videos that actually talk about the event and the Q&A sessions.

FroogleSim -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj8h6yi ... x=145&t=1s

FlightChops-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrJs0jK ... x=146&t=0s

Also, FSElite released a series of videos covering the event and their one-on-one sessions with the devs-
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... stthcVmdTL

When I hear someone like Froogle say he's very excited about the program, I think we might have a hit on our hands. He's been one of the most skeptical people of Microsoft and the recent FS releases in recent years, so if they've convinced him that this is moving in the right direction, then I think it's time to start saving up money.
Chris Trott, WWA3382
EGLL Hub
WWA3290 Paul L Steele

Post by WWA3290 Paul L Steele »

I am looking forward to seeing where this goes. I am stuck flying on FS9 on my laptop with it's degraded scenery and all that goes with it. I do have some better airport add ons with World Airport Scenery but it just is not like FSX. FSX and my Windows 10 computer are mortal enemies and even though FSX SE works better at times, I will not waste the time for a long flight only to have it lock up after 10 minutes or 8 hours. I have said to many a FS friend that I would pay full price for an updated FSX that would work with 64 bit systems and the new Windows programs. I have X Plane 11 but being so accustomed to the keyboard and joystick control commonalities between FS9 and FSX, having to program every button and switch on my joystick is just not my thing. I would pay a nice sum for a program that would do this for me but it just ain't me at this time.
Paul L. Steele
WWA3290
Vice President Operations/COO
Lt. Col., CAP/Deputy Commander/MAR-NC-111,
Group 6 Safety Officer, Assistant Director of Safety, NC Wing
LTC (R) US Army
WWA3105

Post by WWA3105 »

I too, have been using FS9 for years. I've tried FSx on my Windows computer, which I built with much ram and a super video card. But still doesn't have the performance that I enjoy with FS9. I am thinking X-plane, but not too sure if I could try it at this time. I guess my primary consideration is: are there good add-ons as FS9.
Bob Armer WWA3105
Aircraft Maintenance Officer CWO3 USCG
A&P Mechanic/IA
Senior Command Captain +12
Hub Manager MIA
BobSturm

Post by BobSturm »

WWA3105 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:00 pm I too, have been using FS9 for years. I've tried FSx on my Windows computer, which I built with much ram and a super video card. But still doesn't have the performance that I enjoy with FS9. I am thinking X-plane, but not too sure if I could try it at this time. I guess my primary consideration is: are there good add-ons as FS9.
You can download a free trail version of X-Plane 11, which is highly recommended. As for add-ons, there are no where near as many as FS9, but you have to consider how long FS9 has been around compared to X-Plane. The selection is getting better. The X-Plane 11 default airports are much better that FS9 ever was because they are being developed by the users rather than a bunch of programmers who know nothing about flying. What I like most about X-Plane is the flight dynamics. X-Plane models real flight dynamics based on real airfoil/aircraft design rather than Microsoft's look-up tables.
Like you, I considered FS9 to be the best that Microsoft ever developed. I had FSX but used it only for airport scenery design. It never ran as good as FS9. Now that I have switched to X-Plane-11, I will never go back to anything that Microsoft does.
ImageSignature_Img-MD11 by Robert Sturm, on Flickr
Bob Sturm -- Sr. Command Capt. +15
V.P. Scenery Development
Hub Manager WSSS
X-Plane 11/12, ActiveSky-XP, Navigraph Charts
Sr. Master Scenery Designer Award
75,000,000 lb Cargo Award
20 Year Service Award
Computer: Intel i7-8700k 3.7GHz 6 Core 16GB / NVIDIA GTX-1080