Milviz stops FSX Development

Everything FSX and FSX: Steam Edition.
wwa659

Milviz stops FSX Development

Post by wwa659 »

This could be the beginning of the end of FSX/FSX: Steam. I am sure other developers will follow.
https://pcpilot.keypublishing.com/2019/ ... velopment/
X-Plane 12, MSFS 2020, VATSIM-P1, Pilot2ATC, Air Hauler 2(Westwind Air Hauler 2 VA owner), A Pilots Life, Active Sky XP, TDFI PACX, Real World Private Pilot.
Mark Kusiak

Re: Milviz stops FSX Development

Post by Mark Kusiak »

I don't know if this is the end of FSX, as it appears that MILVIS is making a productivity decision.
They are betting pretty hard on the bet that everyone is jumping into 64 bit simulators at break-neck
speed. MilVis stuff is really cool, but they are not big enough to force people off FSX. PMDG, another
story. I think that MilVis is playing a real gamble that may come back to haunt them in that demand will
force them back into having to support 32 bit. It's a gamble that may not pay off. If the demand is there
for a 64 bit product on the 32 bit platform, are they going to be willing to say no to that? $64.00

PPL, Single Engine Land, FSX_SE, ASN, REX Soft Clouds, iFly, PMDG, FSCommander
Steve Canham WWA11

Post by Steve Canham WWA11 »

Interesting decision.
According to the Navigraph survey, over 50% of the simmers use either FSX or FSX-SE.
Steve Canham, WWA11
Hub Manager Los Angeles KLAX

Sim: MSFS 2020
Favorite Aircraft
Short Haul: Cessna 310R by Blackbird/Milviz
Medium Haul: Cessna Citation CJ4 by Asobo/Working Title
Long Haul: Boeing BBJ2 w/ ferry tanks by PMDG
wwa659

Post by wwa659 »

:o
PMDG also stops development for FSXand P3Dv3.

https://fselite.net/news/pmdg-cease-dev ... Y9tTBqdH4I

Seam like breaking the 64bit barrier was a fatal blow to the 32bit sims such as FSX. At least FS9 enjoyed a long run after development for it stopped, however, I'm not so sure that FSX can last that long with most of the add-ons compatible in P3Dv4.
X-Plane 12, MSFS 2020, VATSIM-P1, Pilot2ATC, Air Hauler 2(Westwind Air Hauler 2 VA owner), A Pilots Life, Active Sky XP, TDFI PACX, Real World Private Pilot.
WWA3382

Post by WWA3382 »

Steve Canham WWA11 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:41 pm Interesting decision.
According to the Navigraph survey, over 50% of the simmers use either FSX or FSX-SE.
Steve, while you are nominally correct that 50% of the respondents have FSX or FSX-SE, far less indicated that it was their primary sim. Post indicated that either P3Dv4 or X-Plane was. Only about 25% of FSX users said it was still their primary platform, and I suspect a lot of it is because of the availability of new platforms which don't have the major memory limitations with complex addons and scenery.

The breakpoint for both MilViz and PMDG has been PBR. The changes in how texturing is done with PBR and it being available in both X-Plane and P3D means that more and more developers have to have 2 or 3 separate development streams. It results in now needing very clear need for decisions to be made. Either expand the team to support more development streams or begin dropping older platforms. Unfortunately, there's really only one answer for most devs since this is still a pretty small community.
Chris Trott, WWA3382
EGLL Hub
WWA3290 Paul L Steele

Post by WWA3290 Paul L Steele »

I guess I may be one of the last hangers on to hoping FSX would be upgraded to 64 bit to run on my Windows 10 computer since I don't need a chart of which buttons or switches to pull when flying it. I have X Plane 11 and for the life of me cannot get the buttons programmed enough to be able to do what I want to do without looking at a sheet of paper telling me which is which. I don't care how much better the scenery and realism is if it's hard to figure out how to do this but for me it is what it is. I would pay someone full price for a FSX program that would work and let me continue flying on something I probably have close to 9,000 flight hours on. Just my two dollars worth since 2 cents just wont go far these days.
Paul L. Steele
WWA3290
Vice President Operations/COO
Lt. Col., CAP/Deputy Commander/MAR-NC-111,
Group 6 Safety Officer, Assistant Director of Safety, NC Wing
LTC (R) US Army
wwa659

Post by wwa659 »

Paul,
I recommend taking a look at P3Dv4 academic license. That is what I have and most of the FSX Native add-ons work in P3Dv4. The only ones that I found not to work were upgraded from FS9models to work in FSX.
P3Dv4 controls and buttons are identical to FSX, after all, it is the same core engine as FSX Just recompiled to 64bit format.