FSX Navigraph SIMLINK Issues November 2020

Everything FSX and FSX: Steam Edition.
Mark Kusiak

FSX Navigraph SIMLINK Issues November 2020

Post by Mark Kusiak »

Just an FYI...

The past SIMLINK update for Navigraph Charts has a known problem which caused it to crash unexpectedly.

The problem was identified on the support web site and forum for Navigraph and on AVISIM, with some ideas to deal with the problem.
This issue if not corrected could crash your sim with an OOM error.

First:

I was flying for about 5 hours with no problems using the Navigraph Charts process. At this point, moving maps stopped working. Attempts
to restart the addon returned a message that the process could not connect to the simulator. I attempted to restart multiple times with no
success. After the moving maps stopped working, the system became slow and sluggish, frame rates down badly. This is the first time that
this problem has occurred.

Checking the task bar showed that all Navigraph sub processes were not running.

Google turned up the fact that after the last update for Charts, the simlink process did fail unexpectedly. The solution is to download the
fix to simlink. Navigraph is not forcing the update out, you must update manually, I don't know why this is the case.

I did download the simlink process and reinstall it onto my system. It did restore the moving map option in Charts. I will check tomorrow
to see if forcing the download fixed the unexpected crash.

I did force the simlink download and install and tested the charts process again. There are issues with Charts not being able to restart simlink
if it has been shut down. Charts uses the simlink process to communicate with their servers for capturing your aircraft's position and providing
the "moving-map" option in your client. The simlink process can be killed by right-clicking on the icon in the task bar and selecting exit/quit.
The process will NOT restart by restarting the add-on while flying. so even with the update, you can break it by killing the process manually.
The Charts application will not "restart" the simlink process after its been killed off. Just beware of these processes. Its a poor programming
job that stuffs a sub-process at start-up and can kill the whole simulator session if it crashes. Only way is to reboot your whole system.

I did NOT kill simlink the first time through. All of a sudden, the moving map went away. A check failed to turn up the process in the task bar.
It appears as if the simlink sub-process just crashed. First time it has happened in the six months using Navigraph Charts.

Will retry the flight tomorrow and report back if the update fixed it.

PPL, Single Engine Land, FSX_SE, ASN, REX Soft Clouds, iFly, PMDG, FSCommander
Mark Kusiak

Re: FSX Navigraph SIMLINK Issues November 2020

Post by Mark Kusiak »

It appears that the update DID fix the problem. As I stated before, the error that occurred was a problem that I had not seen before.
The update was installed and tested last night. I flew the repeat flight again and made it to Tahiti with no major problems. I did use
Navigraph Charts with the new simlink installation during the flight.

PPL, Single Engine Land, FSX_SE, ASN, REX Soft Clouds, iFly, PMDG, FSCommander