Simulator Installs Under Windows 10

This forum is for all things simulators. All simulator tips and tricks and everything on how to maintain and tweak will be placed in this forum.
Mark Kusiak

Simulator Installs Under Windows 10

Post by Mark Kusiak »

Windows 10 security is different then older Windows operating systems. This requires that flight
simulators, including Microsoft's own group, should be installed "outside the default" installation
path of the program. The default path is C:\\Program Files (X86)

Without a clear understanding of how to configure directory permissions in Windows 10, installing
anything that you, as a user, need access to becomes important.

I am running FSX_SE under windows 10 and have the simulator program installed in a solid state drive
which is outside the default installation path for the program. I have a stable platform that runs
well and works.

This does not rid the simulator of all the problems that the older design has, but at least the
simulator runs and I can get at the files that I need to. I will get OOM errors because of the 8
bit design and memory limitations under certain conditions, but they are known.

The bottom line, Simulator installations on Windows 10 will work if they are done in a way
that gets around the built-in security in Windows 10. Admin privileges will not defeat the directory
permissions logic built into windows 10 like it did in the older operating systems, in the default
path.

Next time you install on Windows 10, install the simulator on a path other then the default, and
drop the security on the simulator master directory to wide open. Give it every permission you
can, so that everything else can have access to it. This will go along way towards giving you a
stable install.

PPL, Single Engine Land, FSX_SE, ASN, REX Soft Clouds, iFly, PMDG, FSCommander
wwa659

Re: Simulator Installs Under Windows 10

Post by wwa659 »

It has been reconmended to not install Microsoft Flight Simulator (or any other non OEM program) in the program files or the program files (x86) directory since Windows 7. That is when Microsoft started to restrict the write permission to said directory protecting it like it is a system only directory and not always givng write permission to new programs installed to program files location. Each build and version of windows became more difficult for the general user to use the program files directory.
X-Plane 12, MSFS 2020, VATSIM-P1, Pilot2ATC, Air Hauler 2(Westwind Air Hauler 2 VA owner), A Pilots Life, Active Sky XP, TDFI PACX, Real World Private Pilot.
Scott D. Williams

Post by Scott D. Williams »

Yes, I installed FS9 in the default file originally with Windows7 and it was quite quirky, sometimes quitting on me. When it comes time for my next platform installation I will be exploring the separate solid state drive.
Scott D.Williams
WWA1404
Commercial-CFI-Multi-Instrument-real world
Vatsim P3
WWA2379

Post by WWA2379 »

As a professional programmer :ugeek: there are ways around this.

The first is to write your program to use the ProgramData folder, which is where all data should go now, obviously this is not possible with older programs that use the installed folder to save data, so you have two options, the first as stated is to install in a folder outside the program files folders. The second is to change your UAC settings to allow files to be modified in there. This is a slight security risk, so is not recommended.
George Forster WWA2379

Westwind VA Positions
Chief Information Officer

Flight Sim used - FSX
Addons - FSPassengersX, Active Sky Next, Air Hauler 2, GSX