FSX Graphics Setting

Everything FSX and FSX: Steam Edition.
Eddie Harper

FSX Graphics Setting

Post by Eddie Harper »

I have an AMD G705 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6 0verclocked to 4.4 with Nvidia RTX 2070TI Graphics card with 8MB Memeory. When doing a flight at some point when I go to an outside view the AC just shows the shell. What setting in FSX controls this. Thanks Eddie
Eddie Harper WWA2683
WWA138

Re: FSX Graphics Setting

Post by WWA138 »

Eddie,

I assume you're meaning it shows no textures on the plane? I see this in FS9 sometimes and usually if I just wait a little the textures will appear on the plane. Almost as if the graphics are buffering or delayed in loading the textures. Keep in mind depending on the plane and the painter of the textures the texture files vary in size and number, and that may contribute to what you are seeing. Are you seeing this issue on all planes or just specific ones?

I'm not sure there is a specific setting in either sim that would control that.
FS9.1 on Windows 10 64 bit, FS Global Real Weather, REX, AES, FSPassengers
RWP: ATP - CL30, E550, LR45 Types, FE - turbojet, CFI, CFII & MEI
Mark Kusiak

Post by Mark Kusiak »

In FSX, texture loading to change scenery, or views are being pushed into the program's available memory.
The common term is VAS. Textures are rendered last in the view, so you can get a scene where the plane
looks blank or are missing.

Obviously, the more complex the plane, the more the delay. It also depends on what else, scenery wise, the
computer is rendering at the time. FSX graphics are rendered, "primarily through the CPU" where other
newer applications pass the rendering off to a graphics card. For FSX, a graphics card is a bystander, because
when FSX was written, graphics cards were really new or didn't exist.

I have noticed, as I monitor VAS, that when ever I change scenes, from one view to another, available VAS
will drop. The first time is big where as after, it drops again, by a smaller amount. In PMDG and other
complex aircraft, I get a delay in rendering cockpit textures at some points.

The bottom line, The overall graphics setting can be lowered a bit, but it will not totally ever eliminate
the problem. The texture delay is a byproduct of what ever else the computer is rendering at the moment
you change the view and rendering the "lowest priority item", in this case the aircraft.

PPL, Single Engine Land, FSX_SE, ASN, REX Soft Clouds, iFly, PMDG, FSCommander
Eddie Harper

Post by Eddie Harper »

Thanks Kim and Mark for your Information. I've been flying mostly as of late the CLS 747-200F. I'll try some other AC to see if there is a problem there also. I have 32MB of Ram and an NvidiaRTX Super 2070TI Graphics Card with 8MB Ram so I didn't think I would be Having these issues. Thanks Eddie
Eddie Harper WWA2683
Mark Kusiak

Post by Mark Kusiak »

FSX does not use whatever RAM that is available in the computer. It only allocates a total of 4MB of program
memory, allocated in the RAM you may have on your computer. FSX was written and designed under 32 bit
architecture. Because the addressing variable was defined as an integer, that's the reason why the limitation
even exists. 16 bit architecture defined it as a larger variable allowing the program to us up to the thread limit.
In most computers, that's at 4 or 8 MB. As a user, you can expand the RAM in a computer, and this is a simple
process. Shut down, unplug, take the cover off and replace the old with the new. Reboot and check, the computer
will recognize the new ram and allocate it.

Large amounts of RAM will be beneficial to you and your computer, but FSX still loads in the same 4MB size world it
creates when started. filling up the 4 MB limit is what creates the OOM error that crashes FSX. The thing to
remember is that this is not a bug, but a limitation of the software because of when it was written and designed.

Moderator note: *** post moved to a new forum on 7/10/2020 2010Z ***

PPL, Single Engine Land, FSX_SE, ASN, REX Soft Clouds, iFly, PMDG, FSCommander