FS9 startup issue

Everything FS9.
Phil Cohen WWA1573

FS9 startup issue

Post by Phil Cohen WWA1573 »

FS9 splash screen comes on program opens to my saved flights page then immediately closes.

My computer was saying c: drive was low on virtual memory and disc space only 30mb left out of 74gb.

I deleted some programs that I dont use anymore and moved some stuff from the c: drive to my external Seagate drive which cleared up about 26gb on the c: drive.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling FS9 and it did the same thing. I am looking for fs9.cfg file but I cannot find that anywhere.

Any suggestions other than upgrading???
Phil Cohen - WWA1573
Chief Operations Officer
Vice President of Charter Operations
Senior Command Captain +8
Sim- FS9
Addons - FSNav, AES, Active Sky v6.5, FSPax, FS Flight Tracker
Member since November 2006
Scott D. Williams

Re: FS9 startup issue

Post by Scott D. Williams »

Phil, I can only say that the same thing happened to me on WNXP machine I was using 6 years ago. I never could get it going but I was going to up grade anyway so it became moot. Mine was rather unstable prior to the final shut down. The reinstall on this WN7 machine solved it but some one here may have a better answer for you.
Scott D.Williams
WWA1404
Commercial-CFI-Multi-Instrument-real world
Vatsim P3
WWA3620

Post by WWA3620 »

Phil,

Had a similar situation recently. I found it related to an aircraft that I installed. The problem was trying to load a dll file that FS9 Win10 did not like in the Modules Folder. I removed the file and the problem resolved.

In your re-installation, did you try to run FS9 without any add-on aircraft - meaning running it with only the original loadset?
Warmest regards,
Martin Douglas
Phil Cohen WWA1573

I have had no luck even tried a system restore to a point that was marked as a restore point come to find out it wouldn't restore.

My next thing is taking Microsoft games folder and flight simulator files and moving them to a removable hard drive then do a clean reinstall of FS9 and see if it works, then 1 by 1 I'll put in my add on stuff again restarting after each one.

WHEN IS 2020 COMING OUT!!!
Phil Cohen - WWA1573
Chief Operations Officer
Sim- FS9
Phil Cohen WWA1573

Looks like the clean install worked, it said there was a corrupt saved flight that was causing this problem wonder if I put all of my stuff in other than the saved flights it will be ok???
15877933899407856815920560331655.jpg
15877933899407856815920560331655.jpg (4.38 MiB) Viewed 6150 times
Phil Cohen - WWA1573
Chief Operations Officer
Sim- FS9
WWA3620

Post by WWA3620 »

Phil,

Recommend doing that slowly, noting what you did should a failure recur. Make a copy of your clean install C:\FS2004 (on my computer the real one) and call it C:\FS2004 CLEAN.

Then move all the gauges from your original Folder (let's call it FS2004 OLD) before the crash to your new FS2004 folder - and test it. If it works continue the systematic movement of folders one at a time... 1 - Gauges, 2- Effects, 3 - Sounds.... If it doesn't work. delete that Folder and restore it with a copy of the Folder from FS2004 CLEAN. Then you at least know the affected Folder and can troubleshoot it.

Aircraft Folder may be complicated if you have a lot of addons, which we all do. Try to do it as a total folder, if it works great. If not, look at your last aircraft installations before the crash. You can look at the individual aircraft folder (like B737-800F) file Date Created. Sort the aircraft by Date Created, descending. The last aircraft you added should be at the top. You then move the Aircraft from the "bottom up" the oldest first, obviously not the Default Aircraft from FS9, just your add-ons.

You mentioned Saved Flight Issue. You may have nailed it and the problem lies within there. I think I've seen that where I saved a Flight making Default and changed the "Aircraft" name or deleted the folder - which disrupts FS9. Look in your Documents Folder for Flight Simulator Files and make a Copy of the Default Flight File. You can open the file using Notepad. This where the glitch may have occurred.

[Plane.0]
Aircraft=Cessna Skyhawk 172SP

If the aircraft doesn't exist, meaning the name has changed - FS9 will crash.

Hope this helps, let us know how it works...
Warmest regards,
Martin Douglas
WWA3620

Post by WWA3620 »

Phil,

Also in answering the fs9.cfg question, it's located at your User Profile under C:\USERS\your username\APPDATA\ROAMING\MICROSOFT\FS9.
Substitute your username into the location.
Warmest regards,
Martin Douglas
Phil Cohen WWA1573

Thanks Martin,

I found the cfg file the other night after some searching!!

I'm taking this slow, I am only going to load the planes I fly all the time for now plus, fs pax, fs nav, fsuipc, widefs, isg FMS, gauges, and the scenery files one at a time, this will be painstakingly brutal.

I am going to start saving now for a new machine for when fs20 comes out.
Phil Cohen - WWA1573
Chief Operations Officer
Sim- FS9
WWA3620

Post by WWA3620 »

Phil,

I know, I've done this at least four or five times with three computers and four different Operating Systems.

It's not fun, but once you get it tuned, snapshot your FS Folder as your Master, so that if you have ever have an issues again, you can reload FS9, and then overwrite the entire FS9 Folder with your Master.

I don't think I'll be able to move on FS2020, meaning getting a new machine. I've invested much in FS9 and FSX, it's hard to justify moving forward.

But, hope things work out for you and you get back into the "air".
Warmest regards,
Martin Douglas
Phil Cohen WWA1573

So far so good

I have reinstalled and registered
Fs passengers
Fs navigator 4.7
Fs cargo
FSUIPC
WideFS6