FS 2020 to be released in August

This forum is for all things simulators. All simulator tips and tricks and everything on how to maintain and tweak will be placed in this forum.
WWA3290 Paul L Steele

FS 2020 to be released in August

Post by WWA3290 Paul L Steele »

Just saw a video where MS FS2020 will be released August 18 with three packages available starting at $59.99, $89.99 and $119.99. Sadly it appears they will do what some of the other FS are doing by nickle and diming you to get all the airports you currently get with FS2004/FS9 and FSX out of the box. Not sure why I should be surprised but for the $119 package I had hoped that would be the last of it and this package has Denver, San Francisco, Frankfurt and two other airports which means Lord only knows what else is missing.
Paul L. Steele
WWA3290
Vice President Operations/COO
Lt. Col., CAP/Deputy Commander/MAR-NC-111,
Group 6 Safety Officer, Assistant Director of Safety, NC Wing
LTC (R) US Army
Brian Mills WWA1108

Re: FS 2020 to be released in August

Post by Brian Mills WWA1108 »

I have mixed feelings about it. I just watched a handful of videos about the release, and to be fair it does look intriguing. I’ve about reached my wit’s end with FSX, and the same goes for my old Windows 7 i5-2500K machine.

I’m anxiously awaiting my new sim rig being built right now, and my plan was to make the official switch to P3D v.5. I’ll always have a soft spot in my heart for the old vintage iron and warbirds, so that leaves me with P3D at a minimum so I can do my part keeping A2A in business.

Either way, I won’t be getting FS2020 for a little while, or at least not until some of the preliminary bugs have been worked out.
Brian Mills - WWA1108
Senior Command Captain +6
Hub Manager, Denver
Brian Mills WWA1108

Post by Brian Mills WWA1108 »

I was sorely disappointed hearing about Denver being included in the premium deluxe version. Again, mixed feelings. Denver is my hub, both virtually and in real life, and it would be nice to have a good, true to life rendition, but the $120 USD price tag kinda gives me reason to pause...
Brian Mills - WWA1108
Senior Command Captain +6
Hub Manager, Denver
WWA3290 Paul L Steele

I have mentioned that I have X Plane 11 but do not use is since I have had a tough time getting the buttons and switches set up similar to FS9 and FSX which I have almost 10,000 total flight hours in but even with it as a newer updated flight sim, KCLT my home airport looks really really good on the ground but as soon as you get airborne, where is Charlotte itself? FSX looks a lot better once you get in the air and when I could get it to work and had the Mega Scenery Earth loaded for Charlotte I could fly over my house and show you where i live so I am afraid they will nickle and dime us out the door with this and it may cost in the thousands to get the 25,000 airports loaded in the old MS sims. Not having the major airports in the US included which should certainly include Denver and San Francisco is not impressive but what choice do we have? As long as my Windows 7 laptop and FS9 works I can fly. Lord only knows how long that will be but I will take it one day and one sometimes two flights a day until then.
Paul L. Steele
WWA3290
LTC (R) US Army
Mark Kusiak

Post by Mark Kusiak »

All I can say is buyer be ware, and proceed with caution. There are so many unanswered questions regarding this.
Lets see what the community is saying once it's released. Everyone should be on their guard to really make sure that the
upgrade is best.

We are not sure that the simulator will permit a pilot to operate it as required. Having to pay for airports to get them in
is not a very encouraging to say the least. There are allot of unknowns in this. Just proceed with all due cautions here.

The release of this product does not "invalidate" your pre-existing simulators in any way. You have the time to take it slowly
if you are interested in moving to it.

PPL, Single Engine Land, FSX_SE, ASN, REX Soft Clouds, iFly, PMDG, FSCommander
wwa3631

Post by wwa3631 »

I too will be on the fench and waiting for real life report back on (non)functioning of the new FS2020.

Currently having a well working P3D V4.5 setup so i can set this one out for a long time.

One remark about the airport though.

ALL 35000+ airports are in FS2020 as of day one.
The special airport (of which you get 5 additional per upgrade) are in fact handcrafted and modeled into every detail where the others are "just" satellite data and/or runway and taxiway indications and some random buildings (not bad at all i think as most airports are like that now also in X-plane and P3D)

The remark that really makes me cautious and that i will evaluate carefully before buying FS2020 is the remark

This app CONTAINS IN APP purchases.

From this it seems there is a NEED to buy additional stuff to make the sim work.
That would be a NO-GO for me.
Spending once a rather large amount of money is acceptable (once paid the damage is done and no further harm :D )
And even buying now and then additional stuff (Payware planes oid) also oke.

But a model where i NEED to spend money to keep the SIM running would turn me away from FS2020

We will see. I already see enough people jumping on the bandwagon so i will, like Mark suggest, eagerly wait for a few months of report back by the early adopters.
I do appreciate these early adopters btw. I wish them all the fun in the world with the sim from day one.
Hardware: r3700x, 32Gb ddr4-3200, MSi MPG x570-gaming wifi MB, MSI Gaming X Trio 3080
Software: Win10, Prepar3d V5.1, FS2020,PMDG 737Ngx, QW 787, FS2Crew, PFPX, Avlasoft EFB, Active Sky P3d,VOXAtc

Fred Koch, wwa3631, pilot on Amsterdam Hub
WWA3290 Paul L Steele

Thanks for the update Fred, I was just fixing to notate this on my post. I made the jump anyway for the full package and will let you guys know how it goes. My laptop with Windows 7 that runs FS2004/FS9 with all the add on aircraft and the like wont last forever and FSX is just too unstable as much as I like to use it when it works for it's simplicity in flight planning so I need to do something. I spent my $124 which included tax after reading that all the other airports are included. With FSX when I added the add-on detail for many of airports I use the most often they cost me from $12-49.99 each so it should work out. I will let you know how it goes once it goes. I have been looking for an excuse to replace my old laptop with a new gaming laptop so this might just be it.
Paul L. Steele
WWA3290
LTC (R) US Army
WWA138

Post by WWA138 »

I'm curious to see reaction once it is out in the marketplace. I'm tempted to spring for it now and hopefully finally retire FS9.......

On the airports. The deluxe version includes 40 handcrafted airports (whatever handcrafted means), the lower editions slightly less. Which, and this is my opinion, I take it to mean those airports will be highly detailed with accurate terminals, jetways etc. It does say that the sim will include "over 37,000 airports" so I don't think airports will be missing but we will be back to default level of detail for all but the 30-40 handcrafted ones. This is better than we had with any prior version of FS. In 9 and X we got lots of airports but none with super detail or what I would call payware level scenery.

I'm thinking of waiting at least a few months and then make a decision. If I do go for it I'm going to have to upgrade my laptop......I do like the idea of having it on our x-box too.....
FS9.1 on Windows 10 64 bit, FS Global Real Weather, REX, AES, FSPassengers
RWP: ATP - CL30, E550, LR45 Types, FE - turbojet, CFI, CFII & MEI
wwa659

Post by wwa659 »

So Far I have resisted the urge to pre-buy MSFS2020, I may pre-purchase the premium version after the initial rush settles down a bit.

After slowing down and reading the press release several times, I have come to the same conclusion as Kim. It does say there are over 37,000 airports are included FSX only advertised over 26 or 27,000 airports so more than 10,000 airports have been added to the new sim. and depending on what version you purchase 30+ airports are "Handcrafted" to a higher detail level. Somewhat reading between the lines I take the "In-App purchases" to mean additional high-quality airports, aircraft, and other addons.
X-Plane 12, MSFS 2020, VATSIM-P1, Pilot2ATC, Air Hauler 2(Westwind Air Hauler 2 VA owner), A Pilots Life, Active Sky XP, TDFI PACX, Real World Private Pilot.
Mark Kusiak

Post by Mark Kusiak »

Some areas that are immediately of concern, can we introduce WestWind paint and hub scenery into it. From a WestWind perspective, these
are big. I'm sure you can do it, but what the process will be is really interesting.

To do these, based on past simulator structures, we will need some sort of access to an SDK. I'm sure that Microsoft will open an SDK up
at some point, and I know that these are way out in left field as far as how to's to use it for the airline. We know that members will be
wanting these sooner then later though.

Just understand that we are on the eve of a new simulator release! How long did it take for FSX to get these airline things into the mix?
Anyone who may have been around when FSX came out could comment on this? This would be interesting information to know.... An
exciting time for those of us who like to MOD....

PPL, Single Engine Land, FSX_SE, ASN, REX Soft Clouds, iFly, PMDG, FSCommander