MSFS2020 updates, where in the heck are they

This forum is for all things simulators. All simulator tips and tricks and everything on how to maintain and tweak will be placed in this forum.
WWA3290 Paul L Steele

MSFS2020 updates, where in the heck are they

Post by WWA3290 Paul L Steele »

I got my Acer Predator gaming computer back from repair that I bought to be able to fly MSFS2020 with all the bells and whistles and even though I have not figured out how to set up my joystick and cockpit where I can remember the dang keys I have been opening the program and doing the numerous updates that seem to come out oh so often every couple of days. There is a pending update where I am directed to the Microsoft Store and it ain't there. I googled it and a bunch of folks are having this problem and one solution was to update the graphics card. I have an RTX2060 or 70 and did that and still cannot find the lousy update. Any suggestions to an old guy who is not the biggest computer whiz in the VA? The store shows I have the premium program with all that came with it but this thing is not there. Had I known that setting up the controls and joystick are very similar to what I already had with X Plane 11 other than the great scenery I would not have bought the darn thing. Help.
Paul L. Steele
WWA3290
Vice President Operations/COO
Lt. Col., CAP/Deputy Commander/MAR-NC-111,
Group 6 Safety Officer, Assistant Director of Safety, NC Wing
LTC (R) US Army
wwa3631

Re: MSFS2020 updates, where in the heck are they

Post by wwa3631 »

Hi Paul

I have seen many bug reports like this and the most common (and usefull) answer was

Download the Xbox app from the Microsoft Store, login and leave it open and then restart FS2020.
Your updates should come in.

NOTE: after automatic updates, be sure to check the content manager and in game store for any additional updates.
World updates for instance are separately downloaded as are many other things through content manager and market place
Hardware: r3700x, 32Gb ddr4-3200, MSi MPG x570-gaming wifi MB, MSI Gaming X Trio 3080
Software: Win10, Prepar3d V5.1, FS2020,PMDG 737Ngx, QW 787, FS2Crew, PFPX, Avlasoft EFB, Active Sky P3d,VOXAtc

Fred Koch, wwa3631, pilot on Amsterdam Hub
BobSturm

Post by BobSturm »

Sorry for your frustration Paul. I tolerated Microsoft for MANY years simply because there was no competition...then came X-Plane. I will never go back to MSFS again. It is pretty but its flight dynamics cannot compare to X-Plane, and being a former pilot, that is much more important to me than "eye candy", not to mention all the issues with MSFS over the years.
ImageSignature_Img-MD11 by Robert Sturm, on Flickr
Bob Sturm -- Sr. Command Capt. +15
V.P. Scenery Development
Hub Manager WSSS
X-Plane 11/12, ActiveSky-XP, Navigraph Charts
Sr. Master Scenery Designer Award
75,000,000 lb Cargo Award
20 Year Service Award
Computer: Intel i7-8700k 3.7GHz 6 Core 16GB / NVIDIA GTX-1080
WWA3290 Paul L Steele

Post by WWA3290 Paul L Steele »

Thanks Fred I finally found a post that said exactly what you described and got it done. What a frustrating mess and Bob, I have X Plane 11 but have the same problem setting up and remembering the keyboard/joystick controls for it and MSFS2020. With 10,000+ flight hours on FS2004/FS9 and FSX I just cannot seem to get the system in my mind where it is not a grind. I did fly a flight our of Charlotte on X Plane 11 and I must say the airport was laid out exactly as it is now with three runways but, when I got away from the airport there was nothing but forests around it. No city or much of anything else and I am out there every week for my CAP duties and know what is there. On the other hand the flight I managed to make with MSFS2020 once in the air it was almost like a photo with the streets layout and actual buildings to the point it looked very much like what the Charlotte area is like. I could not stop the aircraft on landing though since I had not figured out which button did that but thanks anyway for your good advice and counsel. It is appreciated.
Paul L. Steele
WWA3290
Vice President Operations/COO
Lt. Col., CAP/Deputy Commander/MAR-NC-111,
Group 6 Safety Officer, Assistant Director of Safety, NC Wing
LTC (R) US Army