FS 2020 to be released in August

This forum is for all things simulators. All simulator tips and tricks and everything on how to maintain and tweak will be placed in this forum.
wwa659

Re: FS 2020 to be released in August

Post by wwa659 »

I have read several reports by some major third-party developers that the SDK is not finished yet and the process is awkward and inefficient at the best right because all the tools are being developed separately and haven't been merged to work together in a smooth process.

We as an airline are stuck waiting to see what comes out with the initial release or will the SDK be a separate purchase?
X-Plane 12, MSFS 2020, VATSIM-P1, Pilot2ATC, Air Hauler 2(Westwind Air Hauler 2 VA owner), A Pilots Life, Active Sky XP, TDFI PACX, Real World Private Pilot.
WWA138

Post by WWA138 »

Mark Kusiak wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:25 pm How long did it take for FSX to get these airline things into the mix?
Anyone who may have been around when FSX came out could comment on this? This would be interesting information to know.... An
exciting time for those of us who like to MOD....
FSX aircraft came about fairly quickly as I recall. There weren't really that many differences between FSX and FS9 as far as aircraft were concerned. Scenery was a little more involved as there were some improvements from 9 to X. Since FS2020 is a whole new beast, the best I can say on a timetable is to be patient. Once the sdk is out we'll have a better idea.

The SDK has never been a pay for it kind of thing, hopefully it stays that way..........
FS9.1 on Windows 10 64 bit, FS Global Real Weather, REX, AES, FSPassengers
RWP: ATP - CL30, E550, LR45 Types, FE - turbojet, CFI, CFII & MEI
Brian Mills WWA1108

Post by Brian Mills WWA1108 »

If I recall correctly, I believe the aircraft for FSX came out fairly quickly, as the port over from FS9 to FSX was fairly straightforward. I can't speak much about the scenery, as I never used any. But that was with a different developer, so this will likely be different and take some time once the SDK is released.

I've historically always waited at least 6 months before switching platforms, primarily to let the bugs and issues get sussed out by hot fixes, or back then, the SP1 & 2.

And we haven't even mentioned any of the tools like FSUIPC, weather (FS2020 may already be decent enough upon release), flight planners, etc...

I think patience is the name of the game here.
Brian Mills - WWA1108
Senior Command Captain +6
Hub Manager, Denver
Mark Kusiak

Post by Mark Kusiak »

A thanks to both Kim and Brian. My history on the hobby is a little spotty, early FS, back to SubLogic days and then
into FSX-SE (Steam Edition), because of the price. Between that time, I was workiing a fuller then full time job. Not
much time to fly flightsim or any thing else. I did manage to squeeze in a PPL VFR rating for Single engine land though.

PPL, Single Engine Land, FSX_SE, ASN, REX Soft Clouds, iFly, PMDG, FSCommander
wwa659

Post by wwa659 »

Having Microsoft Flight simulator from the early days back in the 1980s and X-Plane since version 8, I have always felt X-Plane aircraft was at least a level or two above Microsft aircraft (what you get out of the box). I think Microsoft did a disservice by putting in a default GPS in the airliners keeping the simulator on a lower level sim compared to P3D and X-Plane also artificially steepen the curve to learn the systems in airliners.

As far as scenery between the two, Microsoft was several levels ahead of X-Plane till X-Plane 11 came out. Although X-Plane 11 really stepped up the quality of scenery I still have to FSX/P3D has the edge in the scenery area both out of the box and what is available as third-party add-ons. Will the new Microsoft simulator widen the gap in the scenery area? With what I have seen from previews most likely yes. as far as comparing aircraft I will have to wait till next month after the new sim is released and see for myself.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet but suspect I will prepurchase in the next few days
X-Plane 12, MSFS 2020, VATSIM-P1, Pilot2ATC, Air Hauler 2(Westwind Air Hauler 2 VA owner), A Pilots Life, Active Sky XP, TDFI PACX, Real World Private Pilot.
Brian Mills WWA1108

Post by Brian Mills WWA1108 »

I agree with Sean completely. I suppose time will tell with the FS2020 release. Either way, flight simulation sure has come a long way from when I first started on Bruce Artwick's v.2 on my C64 (I just dated myself, didn't I?) I've had almost every release since then, and watched the hobby grow to what it is today.

I was a FS9 holdout for about 6 months to a year before moving to FSX, and I'll likely do the same with the new release. I'm actually waiting to hear tell from the folks who've already preordered it before I jump in with both feet!
Brian Mills - WWA1108
Senior Command Captain +6
Hub Manager, Denver
wwa659

Post by wwa659 »

I first started on Bruce Artwick's v.2 on my C64 (I just dated myself, didn't I?)
Don't feel too bad about dating yourself I still have a copy of sublogic flight simulator before Microsoft bought them out, so that puts us in the same boat.

Yes Flight Simulators have come along way since those days
WWA2379

Post by WWA2379 »

I remember trying to land using just a keyboard on a ZX spectrum in the mid 80s, crashed most of the time
George Forster WWA2379

Westwind VA Positions
Chief Information Officer

Flight Sim used - FSX
Addons - FSPassengersX, Active Sky Next, Air Hauler 2, GSX
BobSturm

Post by BobSturm »

Mark Kusiak wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:25 pm Some areas that are immediately of concern, can we introduce WestWind paint and hub scenery into it. From a WestWind perspective, these
are big. I'm sure you can do it, but what the process will be is really interesting.

How long did it take for FSX to get these airline things into the mix?
Anyone who may have been around when FSX came out could comment on this? This would be interesting information to know.... An
exciting time for those of us who like to MOD....
If I recall, it didn't take too long to modify the FSX scenery for WestWind. I was already doing airport mods for FS9 at the time. Much of FS9 scenery objects fit right into FSX. It was mostly a matter of modifying the AFCAD and dropping in the scenery objects. Another factor was that I was not employed full time, so I had a lot of free time to devote to the project. My problem now with X-Plane scenery mod is time. I have been working full time plus other life factors, and X-Plane scenery is more complex that Microsoft was; at least the learning curve. I may be able to get back to it pretty soon. I have just given my employer notice that I will not be working full time after August 28. I will be going from 40 hours to 24 hours a week (Hey, I'm going on 76 years young. Time to cut back a bit).
ImageSignature_Img-MD11 by Robert Sturm, on Flickr
Bob Sturm -- Sr. Command Capt. +15
V.P. Scenery Development
Hub Manager WSSS
X-Plane 11/12, ActiveSky-XP, Navigraph Charts
Sr. Master Scenery Designer Award
75,000,000 lb Cargo Award
20 Year Service Award
Computer: Intel i7-8700k 3.7GHz 6 Core 16GB / NVIDIA GTX-1080
BobSturm

Post by BobSturm »

I too still have a copy of the SubLogic flight sim along with the big fold out aeronautical charts that came with it. I have had every version of Microsoft Simulator, but finally gave up disappointed with FSX. I'm now a devoted X-Plane pilot, and cannot foresee myself ever going back to Microsoft. I love the aircraft flight dynamics of X-Plane, and I love the fact that Laminar allows the flight sim community to keep the airports up to date. Their default airport objects need improving and expanding, but I'm sure that will come along in time. I'm not on the ground at airports that long anyway.
ImageSignature_Img-MD11 by Robert Sturm, on Flickr
Bob Sturm -- Sr. Command Capt. +15
V.P. Scenery Development
Hub Manager WSSS
X-Plane 11/12, ActiveSky-XP, Navigraph Charts
Sr. Master Scenery Designer Award
75,000,000 lb Cargo Award
20 Year Service Award
Computer: Intel i7-8700k 3.7GHz 6 Core 16GB / NVIDIA GTX-1080