Need Help With P3D v5!

This forum is for all things simulators. All simulator tips and tricks and everything on how to maintain and tweak will be placed in this forum.
Brian Mills WWA1108

Need Help With P3D v5!

Post by Brian Mills WWA1108 »

Esteemed colleagues,

Last August I finally made the switch to P3D v5.1, with a clean install on a new custom machine. It is my understanding that I have the latest Hotfix and version of P3D, and it has been running swimmingly up until the past week. When I load P3D, the splash screen appears, then loads the main page, but then suddenly quits after about 5 seconds. The aircraft selection box doesn't render any aircraft, and none of the click spots work.

The only recent change was my NVIDIA drivers automatically updated, as well as the latest Simlink version. Perhaps one of these new updates is my problem? Sadly, I must admit that I'm not the most tech savvy when it comes to trouble shooting these kind of issues, although I can navigate and find files just fine. I just don't know where to start looking or where to begin. Any thoughts as to where I can look, or perhaps a link to some trouble shooting guides? A Google search only yields old data from previous versions, and I don't want to make changes of delete things willy-nilly. Overall, the machine runs just fine and is very stable, and runs P3D without any performance issues (that I can obviously tell)

Until then, I'm grounded.

i5 10600K 4.10 GHz, OC to 5.2
Corsair H150 Pro 360mm liquid cooling
1 TB WD Black M.2 SSD (Windows 10 OS and P3D root folder)
750 Watt Corsair power supply
EVGA RTX2060 Super 8 GB
Windows 10 (latest updates)
Prepare3d v5.1
ORBX North America land class (runs fine)

Thanks in advance,

Brian
Brian Mills - WWA1108
Senior Command Captain +6
Hub Manager, Denver
Mark Kusiak

Re: Need Help With P3D v5!

Post by Mark Kusiak »

Brian,

The obvious thing here are "the updates", given it was working up to that point. The graphics "NAVIDIA" updates are usually stable when they
are released, but it depends on whom you have gotten the simlink update from. I would start looking at the simlink update and seeing if that
can be rolled out first. If you can, roll it back and retest the sim to see if it runs.

This is one of the things that makes any flight sim packages tricky. They are not "self-contained" but a collection of many programs being run
together to deliver the whole experience. Add-on developers are always updating their stuff and it does not always play well with the simulator
or other add-ons.

Look to see if anyone is reporting problems with the updates you got specifically. Check the updates as well as the updates using P3Dv5.

PPL, Single Engine Land, FSX_SE, ASN, REX Soft Clouds, iFly, PMDG, FSCommander
wwa659

Post by wwa659 »

If you are able, roll back the Nivida driver. That should fix the issue. I have not updated yet but did see on discord others had problems with the last Nivida update and P3D version 4 and 5.
X-Plane 12, MSFS 2020, VATSIM-P1, Pilot2ATC, Air Hauler 2(Westwind Air Hauler 2 VA owner), A Pilots Life, Active Sky XP, TDFI PACX, Real World Private Pilot.
wwa659

Post by wwa659 »

Anyone with NVIDIA GPUs..

DO NOT UPDATE TO THE LATEST DRIVER, 465.89, IT'S HAVING SEVERE STABILITY ISSUES AND ISN'T COMPATIBLE WITH P3D AND SEVERAL OTHER GAMES (INSTANT CTD OR DXGI) WAIT FOR NVIDIA TO RELEASE THE NEXT DRIVER.
If you already on 465.89 and are having issues, downgrade to 461.92. NVIDIA has the legacy driver listed on their website and you can find it with a manually driver search.
the above is what I saw on FSElete discord P3D channel
X-Plane 12, MSFS 2020, VATSIM-P1, Pilot2ATC, Air Hauler 2(Westwind Air Hauler 2 VA owner), A Pilots Life, Active Sky XP, TDFI PACX, Real World Private Pilot.
wwa659

Post by wwa659 »

here is a link to get the previous drivers
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx
Brian Mills WWA1108

Thank you Mark and Sean.

I had my suspicions about the NVIDIA drivers, I just didn’t know how to revert back to the old drivers. Sean, thanks for the link, I’ll give it a try in the morning.

I’ll let you know how things went after I revert back.
Brian Mills - WWA1108
Hub Manager, Denver
Brian Mills WWA1108

I know it's been 10 days since I was last on here, I've been busy selling my house and moving. Now that I'm finally getting somewhat settled in to my new digs, I was able to address the issue at hand. Sean, thanks again for the link, now I know where to look if/when that happens again. For now, reverting back to the old NVIDIA driver did the trick. Now I can get back up in the air!

Cheers!
Brian Mills - WWA1108
Hub Manager, Denver
Mark Kusiak

Post by Mark Kusiak »

Glad to hear that the problem was a Graphics Card Driver. That's a lot easier to deal with then something in the sim side.

PPL, Single Engine Land, FSX_SE, ASN, REX Soft Clouds, iFly, PMDG, FSCommander